Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Buying A Cello

So I've wanted to play the cello forever. Seriously, it's been a long time. Even when I was a kid and playing violin and piano and whatever else I played, I always wanted to play the cello. I just never did. I half-heartedly started looking for one last summer, but it just never panned out, and I probably didn't try quite hard enough. A few weeks ago, I decided to buckle down and just do it. I tried to call upon friends and family and social networking, to essentially no avail. Even craigslist let me down, and heck, I even got my job from craigslist (no, it's not nude housecleaning). So I turned to the wonderful wild world of ebay. Yes, I got my cello from ebay. Well, it's being shipped right now. So I don't officially have it, but soon enough, it will be here.

I couldn't help myself. It turned out to be an awesome deal, and since I am a true beginner as far as the cello goes, I knew that I just wanted something not horrible, but not that great either. I did my research too, and it turns out that the model I would be getting, actually can sound great, once it gets a few tweaks from a luthier. So that's my next step, finding a local luthier who will be able to take my ebay cello and give it that warm rich sound I'm looking for. He/she will probably need to put new strings on it, adjust the sound post, adjust the neck, and perhaps shave the knot. We'll have to see.

The shop where I got the cello from also gave me access to online tutorials. And I went ahead and ordered a bunch of used cello instruction books online. Some of them were not even $1, not including the shipping costs. So soon enough, I will be fully armed, with instrument and books galore. Kimmel Center, watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment